Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pearl Jam Concert


Donald and I attended the Pearl Jam concert in Columbia on Monday, June 16th. While we're not what I would consider diehard fans, we still grew up with these guys and since we both love a good show, we thought it was worth attending. I'm so glad we went! The show was phenomenal.

Kings of Leon opened and they were great. So full of energy. I only wish they had a bigger following so the crowd would've been more into it. I think they're a very underestimated band and have a lot of potential to make it big. Eddie Vedder joined them onstage for the last song and he danced around while playing tambourines, which was a lot of fun to watch. His hair was long and he was sporting a full beard. He reminded me of old Jim Morrison footage I've seen.

Shortly thereafter, PJ came onstage to a standing ovation. The crowd just couldn't get enough. Song after song, everyone sang along. It was amazing, especially considering many of the songs they sang were deep album cuts, not the traditional radio singles. That's the sign of a great band. I think my favorite song of the night was Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town. While it's not my favorite PJ song, hearing it live gave me goosebumps. Eddie stopped singing mid-song and the entire audience took over. Spectacular. The only thing that would've made the night better is if they'd performed Black, which is in fact my favorite PJ song. But you can't have everything, so I'm content for the most part.

In honor of this fabulous show, I thought I'd post my Top 10 Best Concerts I've Attended list. While Pearl Jam is not on this list, I assure you they're #11. They just missed it by a hair.

  1. Pink Floyd, Death Valley, Clemson, SC
  2. Prince, Colonial Center, Columbia, SC
  3. Nine Inch Nails, Winston-Salem, NC
  4. The Eagles, Verizon Ampitheater, Charlotte, NC
  5. Depeche Mode, Blockbuster Pavilion, Charlotte, NC
  6. Metallica / Guns 'n Roses, Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC
  7. 2 Skinnee J's, Elbow Room, Columbia, SC (more of a club show than a concert, but still awesome)
  8. Ben Folds Five, Raleigh, NC
  9. Robert Plant/ The Black Crowes, Carolina Coliseum, Columbia, SC
  10. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Verizon Ampitheather, Charlotte, NC


2 comments:

Sara said...

But what about when PJ played Columbia in '98? Wasn't that a bitchin' show? ;)

Karen S. said...

It was bitchin' only in your mind, Sara, since you're the only person who remembers it. Or at least you think you remember it. lol